Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Sports photography -- beginner's luck

Whitmer High School's Bryce Larkin and Mark Meyers celebrate as the game begins.
     The assignment; shoot a sporting event.  Of course I went big, a football game, at night, an undefeated team.   No pressure here.  So there I was feeling really cool with my very own field pass hanging around my neck, walking around in pass land only with a camera hanging around my neck.  Yeah I'm cool.
Whitmer Coach Palka argues with the referee
    Well, I got a crash course in football photography.  A really nice guy with two big Canons hanging around his neck took me under his wing and started asking me what I had all of my settings at and if they weren't right he told me what to set them at.  He told me where the best light was on the field and proper etiquette while on the sidelines.


Whitmer fans watch the action
    I liked shooting the game for a while, but after second quarter was starting, I thought it was at least 3rd quarter.  It got really boring.  I couldn't imagine doing this week after week, I would go nuts.  I did learn a lot though.  I learned a lot about shooting at night with available lighting.  I learned how to follow fast action and capture important moments.  Most of the photos I got, I am happy with.

No comments:

Post a Comment