Saturday, October 29, 2011

Portrait of your paper carrier

Carl Ohler, Holland, Ohio is a rural Toledo Blade carrier.
   I chose Mr. Ohler as a subject because he has an occupation that is widely taken for granted by people.  He works 365 days a year delivering The Blade and other papers.  The wear and tear on his vehicles is astronomical.  Mr. Ohler has two autos, one of which is usually in the shop for brakes and/or something else.  This can be an expensive job that does not pay very well.

   I am not a shy person, so photographing people is not hard for me, especially when it is a subject that I feel passionate about.  Give me an animal assignment and I will cut right through it.  The only problem with that would be trying to stay objective so maybe that wouldn't be such a great idea.  I do like to learn about different people, places and things.
   I like to be challenged, not football games though,  I don't think I'm cut out to be a sports photographer.
   I enjoy exploring people's lives and families.  People and animals interest me. 
Causes and fundraisers would be fun, too.
   I like taking portraits of people, especially with an edge to them.  I like to take things out of the box a bit.


Mr. Ohler's job involves 365 workdays and a lot of paperwork.
Carl Ohler


   When shooting Carl, I could have made him dress better and comb his hair, but I wanted to capture him as he really is, with all of his character intact, because this is how he always looks!

No comments:

Post a Comment