Sunday, November 27, 2011

My Thoughts After Visiting the Cherry Street Mission

   I have to admit that this blog post was emotionally difficult for me to write because the people I met at the Cherry St. Mission reminded me of others I know.
   I have no right to an opinion on everyone the Mission helps. I only spoke with a few of the men.  Only one of those men demonstrated the motivation needed to want to better himself and get out of there as soon as possible.
   I have to wonder if the long-term homeless are that way by choice or lifestyle.   There are so many people on the streets that are drug users and alcoholics.  They are so deep into that life that any money they do get goes straight into their habit.  I know one guy that even has his food card sold months in advance to his drug dealer for half price for drugs.
   There are organizations that offer housing for low to no income people.  Lucas County Metropolitan Housing Authority (LMHA) has separate housing specifically for disabled, elderly and families.  Job and Family Services offers low income and the elderly welfare money, and anyone below a certain income may qualify for food card benefits.
   I know this because I live in a LMHA community.  I lost a job and used up two years of unemployment looking for a job, and when that didn't happen I went back to school and am living on student loan money.  Hopefully, I will find a position as a photographer after school.
   I give the volunteers at the Mission's locations a lot of credit. They seem very dedicated to their work and happy doing it.
   I have a feeling that a lot of the people that go to the Madison Street Food Service go not only to eat, but to socialize. Many may live alone and this may be the only chance they get to see their friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment