Saturday, December 3, 2011

Photojournalism 1 - My Thoughts on this Class

   You may have noticed I called the class Photojournalism 1.  I am desperately hoping for a Photojournalism 2.  This class has opened up a whole new world with Twitter and blogging.  Our class Twitter account has drawn many professional photographers with interesting links to tons of photojournalism related articles and ideas.
   We have been able to go out on shoots and learn how to talk to complete strangers and ask if we could photograph them.  My favorite shoot was at a high school football game.  I was required to have a field pass to be down with the team and the TV crews and the professional photographers.  I felt so cool!  I got some great shots and to really complete the whole sport photography experience, I got whacked in the head with a football!!  I consider that a form of initiation!  I would do it again in a heartbeat, but I could do without the football in the head.
   This has been the best photography class ever.  You feel like a part of something much bigger than what goes on in the classroom.  It sort of gives you a small taste of what it must be like to be a real photojournalist.  We get assignment, go out into the real world and shoot, come back to class and choose our pictures and caption them the way they would be in a newspaper.
   Our instructor, Lori King, is the best.  She brings in other photojournalists to show us their work. Lori is always there for us when we need help, she totally makes this class very interesting.  Anyone will be lucky to have her as an instructor.
   I have learned a lot about the news industry.  Most of all, First Amendment Rights and ethics and do not change the photo.
   I will definitely continue following PHO245 Twitter.  It is informative and a way to keep in touch with everyone.  It's fun.
   I am not so patiently waiting to hear that there is a Photojournalism 2 class being offered, as I will be the first to sign up for it. I hope that tells you how I feel about this class.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment